While Replibit does not yet have direct support for configuration of VLANs within the product, it is still possible to use Replibit in environments with multiple VLANS, for backup and disaster recovery through virtualization of protected systems.
Configure a Replibit device to access a separate VLAN
In order to configure your Replibit device to access a separate VLAN:
- your device must have 2 or more network adapters installed
- your network switch must allow configuration of a specific port to a VLAN in untagged mode.
1. Select an available network adapter on your device (other than the primary management adapter) and determine which port on your network switch it is connected to.
2. Configure that switch port as ‘Untagged’ within the network VLAN that you wish your Replibit device to have access to.
3. Once the networking layer has been configured on the switch, assigned an IP address to the network adapter within Replibit that is valid for the target VLAN network. (Assign only IP address and Subnet Mask. Replibit does not support multiple gateway addresses, so the default gateway must remain on the primary network adapter.)
4. Protected systems running within this VLAN can now target the appliance directly for backups using the secondary network adapter.
In this way, a single appliance could be shared across multiple isolated VLAN networks without the need of any routing between networks. Your Replibit device simply needs to have enough physical network adapters installed to connect to each VLAN network you require access to.
To virtualize a protected system on an assigned VLAN
1. To virtualize a protected system on an assigned VLAN, select Live Mode.
This will enable the assignment of physical network adapters to the virtual machine.
2. For each virtual network adapter present within your protected system, assign the physical Replibit device network adapter you would like the virtual machine to utilize.
(Select the physical adapter that has been configured for the VLAN you wish to run the virtual machine within.)
Direct management of VLANs and virtual network adapters within Replibit will be implemented sometime in the future, but this workaround leveraging physical network adapters can be utilized in the meantime to provide such functionality now.
CUSTOMER SUPPORT | 720-204-4500 | 800-352-0248
- To learn more about any of our Axcient products, sign up for free one-on-one training.
- Please contact your Partner Success Manager or Support if you have specific technical questions.
- Subscribe to the Axcient Status page for a list of status updates and scheduled maintenance.