Software updates for the BRC Axcient appliance are managed through the Axcient Web Application.
Updates can be configured to occur automatically, or to be initiated manually.
When a software update begins, it will proceed as follows:
1. All local backups that are currently running will be canceled.
2. A running Cloud backup will be allowed to complete, after which the software update will occur.
A software update may be blocked from running due to one of the following reasons:
- A Failover VM is currently running on the appliance.
- A DAS device is attached to the appliance.
- A degraded RAID (in this case, the user will need to contact Axcient Support).
In order for a software update to unblock, the above situations need to be resolved.
View the Appliance Software Version
There are two ways to view the current software version on the Axcient appliance:
1. In the Services page.
2. In the Service Details page.
View the Software Version in the Services Page
To quickly view the software versions for all Axcient appliances, navigate to the Services page by clicking the Services tab in the top navigation bar of the Web Application from any screen.
View the Software Version in the Service Details Page
View the current software version on the Axcient appliance, as well as software update settings, in the Hardware at a Glance section of the Service Details page.
To view the Hardware at a Glance section, do the following:
1. Click on the Services tab on any page in the Web Application.
2. In the Services page, select the desired service.
3. In the Service Details page, scroll down to view the Hardware at a Glance section for that service:
Configure Software Update Options
When configuring Axcient appliance software updates, two options are available:
1. Manual - The user manually begins a software update on the Axcient appliance.
2. Automatic - The Axcient appliance will automatically begin updating the software version based on previous configuration settings.
Edit the software update settings
1. Click on the Services tab on any page in the Axcient Web Application.
2. In the Services page, click on the desired service.
3. In the Service Details page, click on Configure Service.
4. Scroll down to the Software Update section and click Edit .
The Software Update page displays the current software version on the appliance and allows toggling of automatic updates.
Configure Manual Software Updates
To configure software updates to only occur when manually initiated, do the following:
1. Toggle the Update Automatically setting to Disabled.
2. Click the Save button to save the new software update setting.
When software updates are released for the Axcient appliance, the user must now manually initiate the update from the Service Details page by clicking the Update Software Now button, and following the steps when prompted.
IMPORTANT: Any running backup job will be canceled once the user manually initiates the software update. When updating software manually, make sure that there are no backups running. Any backup jobs that are canceled will have be restarted entirely at their scheduled time after the software update is completed.
Configure Automatic Software Updates
To configure software updates to occur automatically, do the following:
1. Toggle the Update Automatically setting to Enable.
2. Select when the auto updates will occur:
- Run as soon as an update becomes available - The appliance will automatically update the software. (Any running backup job will be canceled.)
- Run at a target time - Backups will occur at the configured time. Axcient recommends setting this time to occur when no local or Cloud backups running.
3. Click the Save button to save the new software update setting.
Note: The Axcient appliance software update will interrupt any running local backup jobs, regardless of the automatic update settings chosen. If you don’t want local jobs to be cancelled due to update, then choose the manual update option.