1. Prepare the Physical Configuration – Have all of these on hand for installation process:
- Printed Copy of this BDR Installation Checklist
- Power Cord(s) – in BDR shipping box
- Mounting Rails [rack models only] – in BDR shipping box
2. Set up Lights-out Management (iLOM)
- Connect management Ethernet port to switch
- Assign IP address (default is DHCP, use BIOS to set static IP)
- Login to https://ipaddress/ (username ADMIN password ADMIN) and change ADMIN password
3. Configure Windows
- License Agreement – Read, review, and accept the license.
- Computer Name – Choose a network name for the computer.
- Administrator Password – Choose a password of sufficient length and complexity to meet your security requirements.
- Configure Networking – Set static IP addresses, and configure link failover or link aggregation. Option: If using the BDR to backup a domain controller, we recommend not joining the BDR to the domain.
4. Configure Notifications for Monitoring and Reporting [in the web portal]
- Set notification preferences for all accounts in your brand by going to My Partnership, Notifications in the web portal
- [Optional] Configure email notification preferences in the Backup Manager Client, under Options/Notifications.
5. Set up ShadowProtect
- Defragment volumes for servers being backed up, if needed.
- Verify any legacy backup jobs (e.g., SQL dumps, ntbackup, etc.) are not backing up to partitions that will be backed up by ShadowProtect.
- Create folder in X:\VolumeImages for each server. ShadowProtect backup images should be set up for a destination of a subdirectory of X:\VolumeImages. (Example: X:\VolumeImages\Exchange)
- Install ShadowProtect agents: Choose either a Push Install from the BDR or a Manual Install on the computer itself. Agents are in C:\Appliance\SetupPrograms\ShadowProtect (or \\bdr.ip.address\SetupPrograms). Use ENU_SERVER_SETUP.exe (includes user interface) or AGENT_SERVER_SETUP.exe (no user interface). If using the Push Install, the server information will be automatically added to the ShadowProtect Management Console. If using the Manual Install, manually add the server information to the console. Installing the Agent either way requires a REBOOT of the target computer.
- Reboot servers
- Setup ShadowProtect continuous incremental backup jobs with Maximum Compression.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the volumes being backed up are basic volumes, not dynamic volumes.
6. Configure ImageManager:
- Read this article: Installing and Configuring ImageManager 7.x with eFolder ShadowProtect
7. Test Virtualization (using the VirtualBoot wizard NAT networking mode).
ShadowProtect backup job must have completed before you can test the virtualization on the BDR. Go to the main screen of VirtualBox under the Network/Adapter 1 tab, select under “Attached To” drop-down menu select NAT network and verify the “Cable Connected” option is unchecked. Please note that testing a production server is a different process: When testing a production server, follow appropriate documentation closely and make sure the “Attached To” drop-down menu is set to Bridged Adapter and “Cable Connected” option is checked. Delete VMs when you are done testing.
8. Configure Off-Site (Remote) Backups
- Enter account information (Your eFolder Online Backup account will be established when you receive your BDR.)
- Create a pass phrase; your password for the Online Backup is not the pass phrase. The pass phrase is the encryption key
- Test account information
- Configure upload schedule (set to one hour after ImageManager does its processing)
9. [OPTIONAL] Set up a Preload
Preloads can optionally be performed when the total amount of data to backup is too large to quickly backup over the network. The initial backup can be sent via USB disk. Make sure the account is in Maintenance Mode.
Read these articles:
- Preload using SFTP
- Preloading for eFolder BDR for ShadowProtect Partners
- Preloading : If you were an existing eFolder BDR for ShadowProtect partner before June 1, 2106: