This article contains instructions for creating a preload (seed) data set for your eFolder BDR for ShadowProtect customers.
|Note: If you were an existing eFolder BDR for ShadowProtect partner before June 1, 2106, please use these instructions:|
- If you have a large amount of data to initially backup to the eFolder cloud, you'll want to streamline this process by choosing the most efficient of our preload options. Review this knowledgebase article for a comprehensive description of all of your preload options. This will help you determine which of our preloading options works best for your situation.
- Review this article to estimate the time required for your preload: How long will my initial backup take?
- IMPORTANT: Password protection is required for your ShadowProtect backup images to be stored in the eFolder cloud. eFolder will reject any ShadowProtect backup images that are not protected with a password.
- If your backup images currently do not have password protection enabled, you must start a new backup chain using password protection before preloading.
Four options for preloading (seeding) to the eFolder cloud:
Option #1: Use ImageManager
If the backup is not too large and your customer has sufficient bandwidth, simply use ImageManager, letting the backup replicate to the cloud storage node. Follow the standard ImageManager procedures (Create a New ShadowProtect Backup Job) and set the base image to upload along with the incrementals
Option #2. Use an FTP client to upload from a customer site
All ImageManager installations should ideally be accompanied by a FTP client. (We recommend FileZilla but any FTP client which can interface with SSH will work.)
- Preload your backups to the replication target with a FTP client.
- Authenticate with the same username, password, host and port used in ImageManager to replicate data.
c. Once you have connected to the server, select the new chain and drag it to the server side, to initiate the copy. The client allows for multiple files to be uploaded at the same time
Option #3. Use an FTP client to preload from a non-customer site
- Copy the entire contents of the managed folder you wish to preload to an external USB drive or NAS.
- If you wish to preload backups from more than one system, ensure you select each system’s folder (or use the parent folder.)
- Carry the external USB drive or NAS, with the backups, to another location with sufficient bandwidth.
- Preload your backups to the replication target with a FTP client. Authenticate using the same username, password, host and port used in ImageManager to replicate data.
You can login to the remote storage VM from any location.
Option #4. Use an eFolder supplied USB hard drive
With this option, we ship an eFolder-supplied USB hard drive to you. You then copy your data set to the drive and physically return it to our data center.
- For details on how to request a eFolder USB hard drive, please review How to Request a Preload Drive
- If you are ready to request your preload drive now, do so here: Request a Preload (Seed) Drive.
Once you have received the hard drive, you’ll create a folder for each customer, using each customer’s unique account number from the Partner Portal.
You’ll then copy the folder (with the chain or chains you wish to send to us) to the folder with the account number.
IMPORTANT: Preload drives can only be requested for shipment within the United States.
If you are outside of the US (Canada, EMEA), please refer to our knowledge base for instructions on how to preload your data.
How to send your preload data to eFolder
• If you are using an FTP upload, just use the FTP client you manage the customer’s cloud data with. We recommend Filezilla, as it can be set with the same credentials you used to setup your iFTP for ImageManager.
• If you are using an eFolder-supplied USB hard drive, follow the shipping instructions you received from us in the shipment tracking email.
If you have any problems during this procedure or have questions, please go to www.efolder.net/help and contact our support team before sending us your preload.
eFoldr is committed to responsive, competent technical support. Our team strives to exceed your expectations. Contact eFolder at http://www.efolder.net/help or call us at 800-352-0248
|Copyright © 2016 eFolder Inc. Use of the StorageCraft and ShadowProtect trademarks does not imply official endorsement by StorageCraft Technology Corporation. eFolder and the eFolder logo are trademarks of eFolder Inc. StorageCraft®, ShadowProtect®, ShadowControl®, HeadStart Restore®, ShadowStream®, and intelligentFTP®are registered trademarks of StorageCraft or its licensors in the United States or elsewhere. eFOLDER AND STORAGECRAFT TECHNOLOGY MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, IN THIS DOCUMENT. All rights reserved.|