When end users install desktop clients and apps on their computers, desktops, and mobile devices, they are asked to register these machines to their user accounts. After registration, the user's selected personal and Team Share data will sync down and become available on that device.
If an end user loses a computer or mobile device, administrators can unlink the compromised device from the user account, thereby protecting synced data from unauthorized access. This technique is called a Remote Wipe, and is especially useful in organizations that need to comply with certain rules and regulations, such as HIPAA.
Note: The remote wipe process will not initiate while the desktop client is offline. When the desktop client comes back online, it will then complete the remote wipe process.
Deleted User Accounts
Additionally, when an end user resigns or is terminated from an organization, administrators can delete the user account from the system. When an entire user account is deleted, all associated computers, laptops, and devices will be unlinked (remotely wipe). Administrators will be given the option to retain the user's synced data in the cloud server.
How to Unlink (Remotely Wipe) a Machine in the Machines Tab
Use the Machines tab to unlink a machine from a user account.
- In the Organization navigation menu, select the organization in which you want to manage machines. The selected organization displays.
- Click the Machines tab. The Machines tab displays, showing a list of all machines in the selected organization.
- In the Machines tab, click the drop-down arrow to expand the appropriate machine.
- Click the Unlink button to unlink the machine form the user account.
An Unlink Machine pop-up window will display.
- In the Unlink Machine pop-up window, click the Remove Files From User’s Machine radio button to remove the files from the user’s machine.
- Click the OK button when you are finished.
How to Delete a User Account
- In the appropriate organization, click the Accounts tab. The Accounts page displays, showing a list of all user accounts in the selected organization.
- While still in the Accounts page, click the drop-down arrow next to a user account. The account expands to show the machine(s) associated with the user account.
- Optionally, click the Unlink button to unlink a machine from the user account.
- Or, to delete the entire account, and unlink all associated machines, click the Delete button. You will be asked whether or not you would like to keep account files on the server, account files on the user's machine, and/or Team Share files on the user's machine.
- Click OK to confirm.