Replibit does not require you to purchase proprietary hardware. You can choose your own hardware if it meets the minimum hardware requirements; however, the hardware you choose must be compatible with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS. Current versions of Replibit ship an updated kernel, so please consult the Ubuntu 14.04 compatibility column in the following links.
The following links will assist you in determining whether or not the hardware you want to use will support Linux.
- For individual components, like NICs or HBA controllers, visit www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog
Replibit Recommended Minimum Hardware Configuration:
OS: 8GB RAM, 4 Cores minimum recommended for 1-5 protected systems
Backing up more than 5 Servers:
- For every additional 5 Protected Systems (production servers being backed up), Replibit requires 4 more GB's RAM and 2 more cores.
- Example: To backup 6-10 servers, Replibit requires a minimum of 12 GB RAM and 6 cores.
Add the additional memory needed to support running the protected systems as virtual machines.
- Example: 2 protected systems that normally run with 4GB of RAM would need the standard 8GB of RAM plus 8GB of RAM for virtualization so a total of 16GB.
- It is highly recommended to use ECC RAM for data protection and performance.
Machine must have at least two hard drives:
- One drive for the Operating System, at least 100 GBs in size
- One or more drives for creating the Storage Pool
If you intend to use virtualization for instant recovery:
- Processor must support hardware assisted virtualization
- Intel VT
- Intel processors significantly outperform AMD
- Include Additional RAM and CPU cores for running virtual machines
- Minimum total memory required to enable BootVM checks is 10GB
The Software/Hardware RAID controllers available onboard some motherboards are not supported by Linux and can be used only in IDE/SATA mode.
Unless you are using SAN storage, it is recommended to use the Software RAID provided by the Appliance rather than a Hardware RAID controller. ZFS Software RAID is more robust than hardware RAID. Alerting for faulted disks, and failed disk replacement are not supported within the Replibit GUI when using hardware RAID.
It is highly recommended to install the Replibit Appliance software on bare metal for the best performance and reliability when backing up and recovering your customer’s Protected Systems.